- 1 pound ground beef
- 8-12 ounces medium pasta shells (I used whole wheat—yum!)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained (I used Ro-tel mild)
- 1 packet (4 tablespoons) taco seasoning-Note I only used about 2 Tablespoons
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet or sauté pan, cook the ground meat and onions over medium-high heat. Add in the diced tomatoes, garlic and taco seasoning and let simmer over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
Stir in the cooked pasta, cream cheese, sour cream and remaining pasta water. Continue stirring until the cream cheese is melted and the sauce is well blended. Simmer for a few minutes over medium heat to reduce the sauce, if needed.
Toss in the cilantro right before serving for some fresh color and flavor, if desired.